This programme includes courses
- Reading Plans and Specifications
- Building Codes
- Introduction to Contracts
- Construction Safety
- Technical Communications I
- Residential Construction Fundamentals
- Commercial Construction Fundamentals
- Commercial Estimating
- Commercial Project
In the construction industry, there's a growing demand for trained management and leadership professionals. If you're employed in the field, the online Construction Management Certificate of Achievement provides the technical and managerial skills for advancement in residential or commercial construction.
This program includes five foundational courses followed by four courses in either a residential or commercial stream.
Upon completion of this Certificate, participants will be able to:
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Apply fundamental principles, processes, and tools in construction project management
- Describe standard building design methods and materials for site preparation and construction
- Identify and comply with building code regulations, bylaws, and permit requirements
- Understand legal concepts, basic negotiation tactics, and risks involved with construction contracts
- Identify sustainable building practices, compliance standards, and types of certification programs
- Understand health, safety, and building code governance and assessments for construction projects and prepare a workplace safety plan
- Understand the purpose and principles behind construction estimating, including cost controls and feasibility budgets
- Prepare useful technical documentation and written communication
How to read blueprints, specs and paperwork
This course helps you understand and analyze blueprints, shop drawings and specifications, while demonstrating how they interrelate with each other, and with contract documents.
Learn how to interpret orthographic projection and the paper language used to produce a set of blueprints. You will leave this training with the ability to differentiate between residential and commercial requirements for blueprints, through your understanding of drawing types, path views, schedules & notes, Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Master format, plus troubleshooting techniques
This course will familiarize you with policies and procedures involving the land use bylaws, municipal regulations, the national building code, the provincial building code, and fire codes that affect construction projects.
With a hands on learning approach, you will assess a proposed development for its compliance with the Calgary Land Use Bylaw, while gaining knowledge about the development permit and appeals process in Calgary. You will learn how to apply both the national and Alberta building code to determine whether specifications meet compliance and you will be able to summarize the provincial regulations regarding street use and waste material
This introductory contracts course provides a clear explanation and understanding of the legal concepts related to construction. We will explore concepts such as scope of the contract, the relationship between consultant and contractor, basic negotiation tactics, risk management & assessment, and we will look at the types of contracts you will encounter in the construction industry.
Construction contracts learning topics include:
- Canadian legal systems and courts
- Requirements of a binding contract
- Competitive bidding law
- Administering contracts
- Privity of contract, assignment and subcontracts
- The close-out process
- Breach of contract
- Torts, surety bonds, builder liens
- Arbitration and other alternative methods of resolving contract disputes
This course reviews legislation and regulations that promote and uphold standards of workplace safety in the construction industry. You will learn about the costs of poor safety, common safety problems and hazards in construction work, and the regulations and requirements designed to protect worker safety. This course also reviews the purpose and principles of an Occupational, Health and Safety program and key elements of a successful workplace inspection.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain how the Workers' Compensation Act and Bill C-45 are used to establish and uphold standards of safety in the workplace.
- Explain how the Occupational Health and Safety Act regulations promote safety in the workplace.
- Explain how WHMIS promotes the safe use of hazardous materials.
- Outline the controls that are in place to promote and support environmental protection and construction worker safety.
- Apply the principles of an effective OHS program.
- Summarize the procedures for the physical inspection of a worksite
This communication course includes skill development in technical writing and speaking to small groups. The techniques of technical style are practised in exercises and short assignments
This course teaches you the basics of residential construction.
From residential framing construction to the lock-up stage of a single-family detached house, you'll learn the ins and outs of what goes into building residential homes in today's industry.
Topics covered include various floor, wall and roof systems used in residential construction and the applicable building codes. You'll also be introduced to excavation requirements, footings, residential foundations, concrete, plus materials and methods of application of interior and exterior finishes
This construction course teaches you the basics of commercial construction building systems.
You will analyze materials, methods and construction requirements for site preparation, while learning about the function and design of all the elements that go into commercial building projects.
Receive practical instruction on the key elements of commercial builds, including foundations, framing, interior and exterior finishing. In addition, we will cover floor, wall, masonry, formwork and roof systems, plus concrete construction. We will also review applicable building codes for different construction applications
This course introduces the principles behind commercial estimating and the overall process of cost control.
The purpose of the training is to help you become familiar with the methodology of the estimating process, and provide you with the skills to develop a commercial construction estimate. From learning basic geometric calculations to measuring and pricing for excavation and backfill, concrete work, rough carpentry, finish carpentry, and exterior and interior finishes, you'll prepare an estimate summary and complete bid documents for a small commercial project.
You will also learn tools that will help you become informed about the costs and feasibility of a project and be able to influence these costs so that the project budgets are met
Fundamentals of commercial construction
This commercial project management course teaches the framework of standard project management concepts and processes. Additionally, a selection of common skills and practices are introduced, using examples drawn primarily from Commercial Construction.
While examining the basic elements of modern project management you will learn the process of scope, project activities, schedule development, human resources and communication matrices. You will also come to understand quality and risk as well as monitoring and control